The Ranson House, located at 412 S. Old Statesville Road in Huntersville, North Carolina, was the family home of W.J. Ranson and his wife Ellen Hunter Ranson. Their marriage in November 1890 was the union of the two prominent farming families of the day, the Ransons and the Hunters for who Huntersville is named. The house was built in 1913 and it was here that W.J. and Ellen raised their ten children. It was originally the cornerstone of a 3200 acre dairy farm, but the Ransons and Hunters were also involved in a variety of local businesses, including a cotton gin and general store.
W. J. Ranson hired Cornelius contractor Will Potts to build a large farmhouse in the Colonial Revival Style, with a wraparound veranda, porch pediments and classical columns. W. J. traveled to Georgia to personally select the kiln dried “heart pine” for the construction. The original roof was made of green cypress shingles soaked in creosote. The interior ceilings in the downstairs were ornate pressed tin designed and installed by Will Potts. The house was also the first home in Huntersville with indoor plumbing, electricity and a telephone.
The Ranson family home served as an important social landmark and as the center of Ranson family life. Ellen Ranson was a gracious hostess, often entertaining local and out-of-town guests. Beginning in 1914 the family began a tradition of hosting an annual New Year’s Eve party for the town. As member of the ARP church, the Ransons frequently held church functions at their home. Even visiting athletic teams would spend the night at “the house” after a road game against Huntersville High School. The Ranson House was truly at the heart of Huntersville community life.
For the first 93 years of its history the Ranson House was home to many family members. The children and grandchildren of W.J. and Ellen grew up and married, bringing their families back to the house. Aunts, uncles and cousins spent time there sharing family meals in the large dining room. In the 1970’s the house was converted to apartments, most of the acreage was sold and the house slowly fell into disrepair. By 2005 the last of the children of W.J. and Ellen had died. The house was in the hands of siblings Frederick and Virginia Cornue, the children of Kate Ranson Cornue. After much consideration they decided that the time had come to sell the family home. In April 2006 the Ranson House was purchased by Billy and Rehnea Raines.